Coupons

Friday, August 21, 2009

PCS'ing... A daunting task!

So here is what I have learned from my recent PCS'ing experiences...

A door to door move is easiest. I recommend going a few weeks before your PCS date to locate a house. When your stuff is in storage is when theft and breaking tends to happen the most. The Army does give him 10 days free leave once you get to your new duty station to look for a house, but I prefer to have him home to hang all my decor and help with painting. Take advantage of any time that can be spent together, it will really help your marriage during deployments to have already had that quality time.

1. I recommend the Army moving you because it is so much easier than doing it yourself. They pack, load, and unload for you and you get to relax while they do all the work. Also the company is responsible if any thing breaks. Do-it-yourself moves you have potential to earn money, but it isn't enough to entice me to move our 9,000lbs of stuff ourselves.

2. Your Soldier will set up the dates the movers will come to your house through the Travel Office at his current post. Once he has orders that state a PCS move he will walk them over and go from there. My husband and I discussed what dates we wanted to pack, move, etc. before he went so he knew what dates to request.

3. Inventory everything and make them attach it to their packing list. For example the movers broke a pair of Gucci Sunglasses that they won't pay for because it wasn't listed on the inventory. I am making them inventory all of my purses, sunglasses, antiques, and furs in addition to our electronics. TAKE PHOTOS. We have an Italian Marble coffee table that does have a nick that I have thoroughly documented.

4. They will not pack and move:
- Candles
- Any liquids
- Any aerosol cans
- Perishables
- Any food what so ever
- Jewelry

5. Feed your movers! I am a bossy person. I also demand everything be done to my standards. So I make up for it by feeding them a decent meal. It can be pizza, sandwiches, or something easy like that. Remember to ask for food allergies. And have Soda and non-Soda drinks for them as well as deserts.

6. Clear out an obvious corner for what you are taking with you. Write in BIG BOLD letters: DO NOT PACK. Make sure wherever you hang out while they pack it is in your eye sight. The packers have been known to pack garbage. Be prepared.
What I recommend to bring:
- A skillet and pot with lids (You will have your food already with you)
- Your bathroom supplies (Including a shower curtain/rod for your next place)
- Textiles (bedsheets, towels, etc. etc.)
- Enough clothes to last two weeks, including a nice outfit to go out in when you get to your new duty station ahead of your things. Remember he isn't deployed. Enjoy every minute and get the most out of your down time.

7. Make them put EVERYTHING in boxes. The larger items can be mirror wrapped. Your couches and other furniture should be padded and shrink wrapped. Make them do that. Make them put ALL Screws in separate baggies and TAPE THEM to the piece of furniture.

8. Bring something for you to do while the workers work.

9. Unloading at your new home! What worked for my husband and I: He checked off boxes and items as they came off the truck and I stood/sat at then entrance (I was 7 weeks pregnant our last PCS) and pointed where I wanted everything. I also put post-it notes on each room labeling it; i.e. "Master Bed" "Guest Bed" "Office".

10. I do not recommend taking the TLE allowance up front. If you can afford to do so you should wait and get money at the end of the PCS. Most of the people who take the money up front seem to owe the Army back at the end of the move. You have to account for every penny used of the TLE. The DLA is yours no matter what. Take the DLA (I explain these more in depth in a different post).

11. Save all receipts for everything, hotels, gas, toilet paper, all food (including the twix bar at the gas station) to be reimbursed. My husband and I have the attitude that we take every single receipt for every little thing and have the Travel office tell us what we can and can't ask for. We were pleasantly surprised last PCS and have enough left over to buy me a Nikon DSLR.

No comments: