Coupons

Friday, August 21, 2009

Pregnancy and PCSing is Super Fun

This past March Dennis and I had some wonderful news: Not only were we finally PCSing to Fort Jackson the Career Course (something that we had planned on doing two years ago before the 2nd tour in Iraq) we also found out that I was expecting our first child! So exciting for my husband and I!


Two weeks after the positive blood test (I never fully trust at home pregnancy tests) we PCS'd to Fort Jackson. I also discovered that I am most definitely one of those women who suffers from morning sickness. Though the move as smoothly as a move can go (With our apartment complex giving us the much smaller floorplan than I requested, bait and switch anyone?, half our things not in boxes because I was too busy being sick to supervise properly, and our dresser being dropped from the truck onto the pavement) finding an OBGYN in Columbia, South Carolina has been far more difficult that I could have ever imagined.


As of August 21, 2009 I am 26 weeks along in my pregnancy and on my 3rd OB... and still not happy; but they will do for now because at the end of October, when I will be 36 weeks, we will be PCSing again to Chicago, Illinois. (Don't worry, I already have a Physician and a Hospital set up for the rest of my pregnancy and delivery in Chicago.)


The first Doctor's Office, I never met the Doctor. I went in for my first appointment to get all the major blood draws and tests done. I, of course, informed the nurse several times about my latex allergy and she still used latex gloves while doing my blood draw. Oh, and her inch long fingernail broke the end of the glove as well. The next Doctor's Office I never met the Doctor again; instead seeing a Physicians Assistant. The Office was poorly run and unorganized... so after they gave me difficulty about scheduling my 20 week ultrasound at a time my husband can come; I changed yet again. Third time is not the charm, though I am finally seeing a Physician. His Office Manager and staff are completely incompetent when it comes to Tricare Standard, but Tricare is wonderful when handling false claims and fixing everything for you. FYI: Don't ever let a Physician's Office tell you they cannot get you your medical records. They are required by Federal Law to give them to you.


Yes, I am a difficult patient. I expect professional and polite behavior from everyone... I expect my allergies and conditions to be taken into consideration at every step of my pregnancy. But, I have yet to find that in Columbia. Hopefully Chicago will be different! Great thing about the Army, if you don't like a place, don't worry. You will be somewhere else soon!


Oh, and We are having a BOY!!!

No comments: