Coupons

Friday, August 21, 2009

My family!

I am an Army brat of an Army brat. For those of you unfamiliar with the phrase "Army brat" it is a term to refer to children of Soldiers and the term "brat" is used in a loving manner.

Though many members of my family have served in the various branches of the Military, the most influential in my life have been my father and my grandfather. My father served for 18 years in the Army and my grandfather served for 4 years in the Navy during WW2 and for 30 in the Army. My husband has been in for 6 years (and counting) and we have been together for 5 years. Dennis and I have been through two Iraq deployments (those were fun), my father was in the Gulf 'Conflict' and did a tour in Haiti, and my Grandfather fought in World War 2 as well as serving during Korea and Vietnam.

Something I am oddly proud of is though my husband, my father, and my grandfather are/were all Officers, not a one went a Military Academy. They all have done ROTC at various Colleges and still succeed in the Army on their own merit. For those of you who think I am judging and condescending West Pointers, know that I am not.

As you can tell I am very proud of what my family has accomplished and I feel it has helped mold me into the woman I am today...

No comments: