Coupons

Monday, March 7, 2011

Army Life and Stockpiling, Part One

Army Life and Stockpiling, Park One: Keeping Your Stockpile Under Control 



Stockpiling is a great way to save money in the long run, but when you move every two to three years as you do in the Military, you must learn to balance your stock pile. It isn't a good deal if you have to throw it away.

What is Stockpiling?  Stockpiling is purchasing items you use on a regular basis in bulk at rock bottom prices. Usually you try to have three to six months worth of groceries and nonperishable items stored in your pantry or -in my case- basement.  Extreme versions of stockpiling were featured on TLC's Extreme Couponing

Ways I keep my stockpile in check:
  • Be realistic in what you stockpile. If it takes your family over a month to go through mayonnaise, don't stockpile it.
  • Always check expiration dates at the store. I've been burned by this before, I've gotten home to find out my three bottles of ranch dressing expire in two weeks. 
  • Be aware of the season. I cook differently depending the time of year it is. I do a lot of baking in November and December, crock pot meals for fall and winter, and for spring and summer I cook lighter meals with lots of fresh produce.
  • I know we're moving in nine or so months. So I am only buying what we need for that week's menu. Some moving companies will not move food stuffs. So be aware that you will be giving or throwing away a lot of food when it's time to PCS.

No comments: